Thursday, August 12, 2010

Seek.

Indeed, I do not even judge myself. -- paul's letter to the corinthians.

-----

Often self-centeredness and pride are thought to be the same thing, but selfishness can take on many forms.

Self-pity, arrogance, self-judgement, despair, and fear are all forms of self-centeredness - each one averts our eyes from God and places our focus on our own self: my day, my abilities, my sins, my trials, my shortcomings, etc.

And being focused on ourselves, even with the desire of wanting to be better, only works to distract us from what matters - experiencing the presence of God.

Our purpose in life is to seek the face of God - and whether I'm praising myself or beating myself up for something, I lose sight of Him.

Luke writes; From one man He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek Him and perhaps reach out for Him and find Him.

-----

In the past few months God has been teaching me a lot about humility - that it isn't thinking lowly of myself, but that it's recognizing who I am before God. In fact, true humility is forgetting myself completely in His presence - letting all fall away but the reality of who He is.

My life should be the constant pursuit of seeking God's face in every situation.

In trials - we look for His teaching, His refinement.
In joys - we thank Him for His blessings.
In people - we look for the stamp of His image.
In creation - we look for His artistry.
In everyday simplicity - we look for His faithfulness, His work, His love.

All of this is for God, and He is in all things - the whole earth is full of His glory and created for His glory, even us.

So then:

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith,

And let us be encouraged, believing that God is not far from each one of us,

for in Him we live and move and have our being.

-----

God is near.

Seek.

-----

1 Chronicles 28. Hebrews 2. Acts 17. 1 Corinthians 4. Ephesians 1. Matthew 7. Isaiah 6.

-----

No comments: