Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Take root, take heart.

I've decided that I'm going to memorize Matthew 6.

...

I made this decision based on the fact that: 1) I am going through a time of transition and upheaval, 2) money is scarce, and 3) I am finding myself, at times, forgetting to trust.

-----

But in Matthew 6, Jesus tells me not to worry about my life.

In Matthew 6, He commands me not to be afraid, that I am worth more than many sparrows.

In Matthew 6, Jesus reminds me that God is the One who feeds, clothes, and looks after.

-----

And I want to be able to live boldly in that truth.

-----

But to live boldly demands trust.

And trust requires mindset.

And mindset begins with remembering.

And remembering grows from MEMORY.

-----

So. I will memorize.

-----

I will memorize because I want the truth of that incredible passage to bounce around in my brain until it burrows its way into every nook and corner of my thoughts.

I will memorize because I want the fears that reach into my deepest soul to be pulled out and shattered against the iron of the words of Jesus.

I will memorize because I want the concept "do not worry" to take root in the core of my being and bloom, growing until its leaves and petals have woven their way through all of my thoughts, my hopes, my choices, my dreams.

I will memorize because I want a life that witnesses to the fact that God DID NOT give me a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline.

-----

power.
love.
self-discipline.

In the Name of Jesus.

That's what I want to be about.

3 comments:

Tim said...

You should also memorize in case anything happens similar to the Book of Eli and the world decides to burn all bibles. (also something jim lo used to warn of at IWU).

Sarah said...

It wouldn't be IWU without a healthy dose of fear-mongering.

I loved the concept of that movie, by the way. I don't cry a lot, but when Eli started reciting the Word at the end - I cried like a baby.

good stuff.

Gail K. said...

I love that movie, too. Good idea memorizing something that can give you comfort. Right now, I keep repeating the following as my mantra:

“Everything will be okay in the end and, if it’s not okay, it’s not the end.”