Saturday, November 27, 2010

let go.

what an incredible, perspective-shattering week this has been.

God has been showing me, ever-so-slowly, how mixed up is my understanding of grace. I continuously try to earn this gift He has already worked so hard to give me. In the back of my mind lingers the constant lie that I have to be perfect to be worthy of love - especially love so grand as His.

But this week (this year, really) God has been faithfully breaking down my misconceptions of grace and teaching me that all of my attempts to earn it are loading me down under a heavy burden of guilt.

what I do can never be enough. I am constantly failing.

In the midst of this lesson, God whispers to me:

sarah. accept my grace by offering some grace to yourself. it's ok. you are forgiven and cherished solely because I have summoned you. let it go. give me this guilt you have managed to bury yourself under and rest on my work alone. I paid a high price for you. don't brush what i did aside to try and earn it on your own. take grace. it's free.

rest in my work, not yours.

so then. once again i work to reorient myself. once again i do my best to teshuvah (turn, answer) towards what is true.

i can rest. i am free.
simply because I am His.

I am free by His work alone.

bless You Lord, for this yoke that is easy.

bless You, Lord, for the lightness of this grace.

2 comments:

Abbey Z said...

so encouraging to read this morning.
these words and so many of yours are so beautiful to my soul.

praise the Lord.

Sarah said...

thanks, abbey.