Sunday, November 14, 2010

prayer.

You know what I'm beginning to realize?

Prayer is a natural expression of love.

For example, during his farewell speech to the nation of Israel, the prophet Samuel says this:

"As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you." (1 samuel 12:23).

and then, while reading Job this morning, I found the following:

"Early in the morning he (Job) would sacrifice a burnt offering for each of them, thinking, 'Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.' This was Job's regular custom." (Job 1:5).

It would seem from these two passages that

not praying = sin

and

praying = love, protection, care.

which means that I probably need to rethink/relearn why I pray and what I pray for.

I live in a city. Am I praying for that city?
I live with/near people. Am I praying for those people?
I am friends with people who are part of ministries far away. Am I praying for those ministries?
I know of people who are struggling in life and in faith. Am I praying for those struggles?

And do I care enough about the community I live in and the people God has placed within my reach to take a moment and bring them before the altar, before the Father?

If the answer is no, then that probably means that I don't care very much at all.

either that, or it means that I don't believe in the power of prayer.

And I don't want either of those things to be true about me.

I care.

I believe.

and

therefore,

I will pray.



No comments: