Wednesday, August 3, 2011

אַיֶּכָּה - "where are thou?"

"The first question in the Bible was not asked by man. Logically it should be man asking of God, 'who am I? What am I doing here? Why did you bring me here? Why did you create me?' Not at all. The first question is when Adam flees from God and God asks, "Ayecha?" - "Where are thou?"

There is a marvelous story of a very great Hasidic master, a philosopher, a mystic, who was in jail, and the warden of the jail was a biblical scholar. So the warden came to see the master and said, 'Rabbi, I heard you were here. I know you're a great scholar, and you must answer me something. In Genesis I read that God asked, 'Ayecha?' Is is conceivable that God didn't know where Adam was?' And the Rabbi answered, 'God knew, Adam didn't.'

That is why you ask questions.

That is why we ask questions."

-elie wiesel.

No comments: