Sunday, June 6, 2010

Finished.

I used to picture Jesus whispering His final words - "it is finished" - on the cross before His death. I used to see him, through his exhaustion and his pain (and feeling the separation from God so intensely), voicing those words in thanks that the suffering was finally coming to an end.

It was almost over.

But my picture of His last words is starting to change.

Because I think maybe he yelled them.

I think maybe Jesus lifted Himself up with all the strength he could muster, and in triumph, through blood, sweat, and tears, shouted them with all His might.

Because He knew.

He knew that love was breaking forth - He felt the power of it ripping apart that curtain, rushing us to the feet of the Father and unleashing God's presence into the world in a new and mighty and beautiful way.

He knew that

death had no power there,
sin had been crushed there,

and that

It was finished.

And I want my life to shout it too.

I want to feel the power of agape love coursing through my veins, ripping apart anything that keeps me or those around me from experiencing the presence of an Almighty God.

I want to daily pick up my cross and, dying to my own sin, allow God's will to reign in my life so that this story of mine will be a witness to the world - a witness that love really does win in the end, and that it is worth it.

I want the world to see in my surrender that

the last really shall be first
and that
the love of Jesus really does change people
and that
we really can approach the throne of God's grace with confidence.

...

With our surrender we shout out that It is finished.

With our thanks we witness to the world that

HE HAS FINISHED IT.

No comments: