Monday, April 5, 2010

New Story.

(Sha'aryim Gate, overlooking the Valley of Elah. Israel, 2009).
"When Yeshua at a symbolic moment was establishing His great society, He chose for its cornerstone neither the brilliant Paul nor the mystic John, but a shuffler, a snob, a coward-- in a word, a man. And upon this rock He has built His Church, and the gates of Hell have not prevailed against it. All the empires and the kingdoms have failed, because of this inherent and continued weakness, that they were founded by strong men and upon strong men. But this one thing, the historic Christian Church, was founded on a weak man, and for that reason it is indestructible. For no chain is stronger than its weakest link."
- G.K. Chesterton, Heretics.
...
I am weak.
This I am reminded of each and every day.
In my feeble attempts to do right, to love, to offer myself, to understand others.
I am constantly missing the mark and failing to be good, to walk with purpose, and to love people well.
But despite all that, I do know this: I serve a God who uses the broken.
A God who not only heals, but who also lifts up.
A God who manages not only to love this weak and bumbling person I am, but also to find purpose in me.
He has a way to use me for His good.
This broken, chaotic story of mine has the power to bring shalom to others.
Peace.
Because we are all weak.
Each and every one of us.
Especially me.
And all I can do is recognize that frailty in myself, look up to my Provider, and ask for strength from above.
And then tell my story.
Because my story is His story.
And where I am weak...He is strong.
And the world needs to see that. To know it. To experience it.
And maybe they can, in a small way, if I am just willing to be honest. vulnerable. true.
My story is broken. And so am I.
And that is powerful.
Because within me, God is creating a new story.
And it ends with redemption.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Today, what you wrote, was exactly what I needed to read. Someone I love is hurting and broken. Your words were a balm for both our sore hearts.

Sarah said...

Elaine, I'll keep you in my prayers this week. The Healer will come.

Love you and miss you.